Twenties, Thirties and learning to laugh at yourself.


A friend of mine came into my department at work the other day with his phone blaring Taylor Swift’s song Twenty Two. He was dancing around all over the place with a smirk on his face and says, “Wait for it,” like I was in for something good. And when Taylor starts singing the hook/chorus of the song he starts singing too. “I don’t know about you but I’m feeling Twenty Two-oo-oo-oo!”  He is undoubtedly turning twenty two today! Happy Birthday Kile!!!  I told you I had somethin for ya man! A shout out just for you! 

If only my soon to be 33 year old self was 22 again. My husband and I often laugh about how early we go home on a date night or couples night out with friends. We are usually back home with our pj’s on starting up Netflix before 9 o’clock and that’s still like an hour before we used to even get our night started when we were in our twenties. So that’s what you have to look forward to Kile! That’s the old timer life man! I know you can’t wait! 

I thought I had it all figured out 10 years ago. Low and behold I was mistaken. I didn’t know who I was, what I stood for or what I wanted. But I was fearless that’s for sure. Walkin around like I knew it all and no one could tell me anything otherwise. Luckily I didn’t get myself into too much trouble with that chip on my shoulder. I wouldn’t take anything for my twenties but the more I grow into myself the more I think the thirties are the new twenties! I just know myself better the older I get. And that is something that only comes with age. You grow, you evolve and you figure out what’s important in life and what’s just not. I don’t think I really loved being me until the last few years of my life. I feel like I just tried too hard and worried way too much about what everyone else thought, which really holds no bearing on you at all, other than in your own mind. I have decided what I think about things and what my stance and opinions are on topics from a-z. Knowing some specifics about your own mindset keeps you from waffling and straddling the fence when it comes down to the hard decisions in life. I have learned not to (or should I say to try not to) let the small, insignificant things get to me.

Life is way too short for all the drama some people let in. Make fun and laugh at yourself. No one wants to hear all about how great you are all the time. Sure sometimes people want to hear about your successes, but a little self- deprecation shows you don’t take yourself too seriously. I am still learning so much about myself every day. And I hope that continues. With all of that said my birthday is coming up in a little over a month and I am going to be 33. I don’t really feel like that number. I still feel like I am in my twenties most of the time until my younger co-workers come in and say they graduated high school and/or college in 2015. And my eye balls almost fall out of my head… which has happened on several occasions. Then I have to try to reign my expression back in before I offend them. Right Kile!  Haha… So ya’ll keep learning who you are and in the process you’ll learn what you are made of. At least that’s the advice I’m going to follow into the next decade of my life. 






Boots Gingham shirt / Sweater dress old Victoria's Secret Similar Similar 
Necklace Similar  

Comments