The Day of Love







It’s been a few extra days since I posted last. Sorry about that. Things have gotten super busy and there are some things a changin in our lives in recent weeks. I can’t wait until I can share it with you all. There will be plenty of blog posts about some upcoming events and home updates we want to embark on within the new year. But today is the day after Valentine’s Day, so let's talk about all the treats and goodies we got! I hope your day of love was filled with wonderful time with the ones you hold dear. I sure showed my loved ones some love. It just makes you feel good inside, doesn’t it?! We started the day with some treats/little trinket gifts for the boys and heart pancakes and ended the day with some yummy wok fried rice and veggies,(courtesy of my grumpster husband who isn’t keen on vday) flowers and a master bedroom viewing of Boss Baby. My kids love this movie. 

The pancakes are a fun story. They took way too long because I didn’t say to myself prior to cooking, “Heather, why don’t you just make them like normal and then cut them out with the heart cookie cutters you bought.” Oh no I most definitely didn’t do that. I spent a lot of time pouring the batter into the cutter. Delicately removing the cutter, where the batter would then commence to pour over the design and recook into a different shape. I then would flip the pancake, which did not look anything like a heart, and spend my time quickly cutting out a new heart shape in order to rectify my bad decision making. So needless to say this took forever and I had a ton of extra pancake trimmings which just looked like a pile of shopped bread…  If you attempt this… For the love of all that is holy just make a regular pancake and use your cutter at the end to cut the shap out. Voila! No fuss, no muss. 

The boys loved everything regardless of my mishap and had a great breakfast! The cookie cutters are from Wal-Mart and could be used as decoration too. We use real maple syrup. You have to look at the labels to make sure it’s real. Most people don’t pay attention to it but the cheap stuff you buy in the store is usually just sugar water and whatever other chemicals they throw in for shelf life. Yuck! The real stuff is usually 2-3 times more expensive and comes in a glass bottle. Check it out the next time you purchase syrup if you want a taste of the good stuff.

I got the boys new light up tooth brushes. They loved these, but started fighting over which color was theirs… obviously it couldn’t be a calm, blissful morning of love. These are kids we are talking about. They have zero self control. I also got Slinky's, glow sticks and some chocolate, sweet tarts and M&Ms. I try not to spend a lot and get something they need and can use.  So it’s not just a bunch of forgettable trash in a couple days. When I got home from work Jackson was standing at the top of the stairs with a bouquet of pink roses. Melt my heart!!! He is a little heart-breaker. Aaron made sure to tell me they were from Jackson, not him. As I previously stated he thinks Valentine’s Day is, in his words, "hot garbage". “Why should we all be made to feel like we have to do something special one day a year, when most people don’t do these things the whole year through? It’s fake and people are full of it. Wouldn't it mean more if i did those things on a day just out of the blue.” I cannot completely disagree. But I still love flowers and candy… And you ain’t gonna see me turn it down. We know our love and that’s all that matters. But we want to show the kids what it means to love others and be loved too. So that was our day. Let's all keep showing our love and not let it end after the day of love is over. 

Talk to ya’ll soon.

Love Heather 

Comments