Memories, Heritage and Life Changes










Sperry Boots  ,Pink Jewel Necklace and Pink Sunglasses LOFT
Sweatshirt and leggings American Eagle


I'm just going to be honest. I had trouble starting out today with a blog post. I have been trying to post consistently each week since I started and I really love the process of writing to whoever stops by and checks out what I have to say. But this past weekend we had a passing in our family, my Mammaw. We knew it was coming. To be honest it, if up to the doctors, it should have happened months ago. But this little lady was a fighter and waited until the Good Lord took her home, In His time, as we often say. 

I really didn't want to go too deep with details of morbid undertones or bring anyone down with the woes of life. I want this to be a fun, uplifting place for those who choose to come and read but sometimes you have to lay it all out there. Death happens to us all. No-one is untouched by its emotional tole or out of left field time line. It has no schedule or reason. That part is in God's hands. So because this is something that happens to us all I decided why not share it. Its real and its happening to me. And the blog is about me and my happenings. Plus I think it helps me to get it out there, off my chest and into cyber space. 

You think you have it all planned out and life throws the inevitable curve ball and knocks you off your feet, off your rhythm and you have to reassess. That's what the last year of life has felt like for me. My aunt passed away, unexpectedly, last June. She was in her mid 40's and had a 5 year old son. That rocked our family. She had been down on her luck and down with her health but we still didn't see that one coming. She was the only person in my family to ever graduate college, that I know of. She went out and made something of herself with nothing but her mind and her ambition. I had always looked up to her. Our hearts are still broken from this tragedy. I suppose that feeling will never go away. And now with the passing of my grandmother...One of the feistiest, strongest ladies I have ever known. It almost feels like all of the women on my mother's side of the family are being taken from us and it is now just my Mother, myself and my cousin. We were talking on the phone about how it is jarring to look at it that way, but it's the truth. So we are going to have to hold each other that much closer, make time for dinners and shopping and movies with each other much more often going forward, in order to not let those memories, bonds and history slip away. We are all we have when it comes to familial, motherly, womanly bonds. I never thought I would know so much about planning funerals at 33. But you take what life gives you have roll with it because I don't want to know the alternative. Not yet at least. 

God allows us these relationships as a gift I believe. We need to cherish them and not neglect them. Our family heritage, mine being from Lookout Mtn, GA. is what has made us, what has molded us into who we are. I come from very little. A teenage mother, with not a dime to her name. A family of land owners, farmers and factory works who worked hard for every little thing they had. God-fearing people, some of whom I have never met. But the stories that my mother has told me about them keep their memories and my family pride alive. That feeling when you are coming back to your home town or maybe you childhood street for the first time in a while is what I am feeling now. It's a great sense of where you come from that helps to lead you where you are meant to go. When we are young we can't wait to leave these stories and places behind to find bigger and better things but when you have kids of your own, and they start asking about your heritage, and you realize what life is really about, you are going to want to know where you came from. Even if it wasn't your life. it's engrained in you still. Knowing your family and their traditions, quirks and even downfalls is worth more than you will ever know. Its priceless. 

In order to not make this post super long l'll try to sum up what I am trying to say. Hold your family dear. Make them a priority, if they will do the same. And it doesn't have to be blood related family. Sometimes we (God) may choose our own family and that doesn't make the bonds any less solid. We are here for such a small amount of time. If you want to tell someone how much you care and love them, tell them, show them, now. Life isn't waiting on you to get started. The world keeps spinning and moves on whether we are ready for it or not. There is no time like today. 

I am home alone today "Hallelujah" (which never, ever happens) on some bereavement days (I wish it were under better circumstances) and dressed casual for getting some errands done. Once again these American Eagle sweatshirts are my jam this winter and they really should be yours too!...

Thank you so much for visiting.
Talk to ya'll soon. 
Love Heather.
P.S. Go spend some time with your loved ones!!!!!!


Comments

  1. Love you friend....This was a very sweet post! Miss you today but I know it's good for you to have this time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3

    Dangit! Those boots! I just need to crack and buy a pair....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment