Post-Christmas Blues…






Christmas 2017 is officially over. Sad times! This time of year is bitter sweet  because I love the holidays so very much. I dread seeing it all get packed away until next year. Plus I just plain hate packing it away. There is something about the Christmas music, the joy in the air and the feeling that everyone is, if only for just one passing moment, on the same cheerful, nostalgic page. Our Lord and Savior reminding us of his eternal gift and promise makes my heart swell! There is no greater Truth. 


Christmas Eve Candlelight Service

 




 

Rock City Enchanted Garden of Lights with friends, a Chattanooga,Tennessee staple and where Aaron proposed in 2004. We go every year now. 
Its a tradition.  






Sawyer's Christmas Eve morning attire. 

Four days of non-stop gift giving and receiving sounds great until you are in the midst of the chaos and realizing it’s downright exhausting! Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but I also like the downtime of just laying on my couch, after my kids are in bed, listening to the carols from our Alexa , day dreaming into the lights of the tree and sipping my pink moscato wine, ALONE! Yes, there I said it ALONE… I am awful, I know. But you ladies with kids understand. I know you do. You know you do! It is all about the kids, the baking, the crafts, Santa, the lights, the whole bit, but that time alone is my un-wind/reboot hour for the next day of go, go, go. It is required to continue on... Ya’ll know it’s true!

 

My husband, Aaron, loves the season too, probably more than any grown man I know. Christmas music is nonstop in his car and our home. We must always have colored lights on the inside and white lights on the outside and all the gifts are from Santa, no debate. These are his Christmas conditions.  But he also loves his downtime and sleep just as much…Which is why he doesn’t hesitate to gripe about the packed schedule of parties, dinners and gift exchanges whenever he feels our family has hit our limit. Christmas day, around 3PM we had hit our limit. After the Christmas morning extravaganza of wrapping paper flying across the room, multiple toy assembly and stealing batteries from remotes, old toys and anything else we could find them in we were summoned to Ganmama’s house (not a typo, that is what we call her) for breakfast, and then to my in-laws for yet another gift exchange.

My Mother-in-Laws mantle...beautiful right?!?!




This is wonderful time! My mother-in- law is the best gift giver. She always finds the perfect gifts for each person that will actually be used and she spends her time trying to make us all feel so special with the detail and love she puts into the holiday.  Her love language is definitely gifting.  We love spending time with everyone however when each event is only an hour or two apart things start to get sticky! Taking us back to the 3 o’clock hour of Christmas day, we are leaving our house for the third destination of the day when my husband jumps into the driver’s seat of our minivan as if ready to hit the road and starts the engine, yet my 2 year old, Sawyer, isn’t even buckled into his car seat. He’s bopping around the back of the van still looking through the toys that litter the floor. This is Aaron’s job, as he is on the same side of the car to buckle him in. Jackson our 5 year old was already buckled, which I assume made Aaron think we were ready to blast off. Not quite! When the hustle and bustle of Christmas day leads you to forget to buckle the kids up… you got a problem folks.

Me: “Babe, what are you doing? Sawyer’s not even buckled in. You just hopped in car like you didn’t have a worry in the world.”
Aaron: “OH”…attempting to suppress his laughter, “sorry I’ve buckled him in 6 times today already… I guess I forgot….!”

We weren’t even in a hurry. We had already decided to take our time and get there when we get there. Evidently our brains had already shut off for the day. So…I think it’s safe to say we all need some rest at this point. Try not to overbook yourselves as we often do. It’s so nice to just be in the moment and enjoy this time we have with each other. Let’s all just take the time to slow down in January.

                                      

I hope your holiday and the New Year brings you the rest and relaxation you need.

Talk to you soon.

Love, Heather



<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/19227455/?claim=usmdc2n57fg">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments